Players out to help recruiting after watching Madness

UK Men’s Basketball Media Day. Photo by Adam Wolffbrandt

It can mean all the difference in the world for a recruit.

That’s the impression the UK men’s basketball team gave when talking about Big Blue Madness. In one of the most elaborately-planned practices in the country, some of the country’s best high school basketball prospects will see the “Mecca” of college basketball dressed up for a good time.

When the Cats take the court for the first time on Friday night, the basketball team will be suited up to put on a show for 24,000 rabid fans, and numerous recruits in search of where to play their college ball.

“It can have a big impact,” freshman point guard John Wall said. “I think that’s one of the ways you can get somebody to sign. You see how the fans support — I mean it’s probably going to be cold (Friday) night and they’re going to come out there with their shirts off and Kentucky painted on them. And then see how we play as a team and how the offense is run and how crazy the fans are. That can get somebody to commit.”

Wall, then the No. 1 recruit in the country according to Rivals.com, was in attendance two years ago for Big Blue Madness. As a recruit searching for what school to attend, Wall said it was “crazy” just to be in the stands seeing all the fans cheering on their team like they did. Now, as a member of that team, and one of the most popular players on that team, Wall said there will be a big difference, partly because instead of being recruited, he’s the recruiter.

“I’m basically just trying to bring people on with me,” Wall said. “I’m trying to bring the next best point guard, the next best players in the country to come here and keep this tradition going. Since this is the school I came to, Kentucky, I don’t want them to start slacking off and not getting those good players and not keep getting better.”

While this recruiting class is billed as one of the best in college basketball history by many college basketball recruiting analysts, it doesn’t mean they’re all immune to getting nervous.

Freshman forward DeMarcus Cousins, also known as Big Cuz and Dancing Bear, said he was nervous for the event.

“It’s crazy … 24,000 (people for a practice),” Cousins said. “I’m gonna go have fun. I’m anxious to go out there.”

Junior forward Patrick Patterson, sophomore guard Darius Miller, and freshman guards Jon Hood and forward Daniel Orton were all high school prospects that attended Big Blue Madness.

“Once you come for Madness you see everything that Kentucky has to offer from a basketball standpoint, you can just come here right off the bat,” Patterson said. “I know when the recruits come down (the steps) and the fans start screaming their names they’ll be like ‘How does he know me? I don’t know him.’ Their mouths are going to drop, they’re just going to be amazed and it’s just more reason for them to come.”

Big Blue Madness will be different this year, UK head coach John Calipari said. For one, he said he will talk to the crowd, something he won’t do as much in the future because he wants events like this to be more about the players. He also said there will be a surprise guest along with the normal dunk routine and scrimmage.

With the record setting number of people that camped out to attain Big Blue Madness tickets, Calipari and the players said they want to show them a good time and show them how much they appreciate their support.

“It’s the perfect picture,” Wall said. “To see all those fans sitting outside when it’s freezing cold, and it’s raining outside and they’re in their tents just eating food, just sitting there waiting to get their tickets to Big Blue Madness. It’s great. I love the fans here and I’m glad that I chose this school.

“I’d camp out too to see this team play if I was one of them.”