NASA astronaut presents scholarship to UK student

By Laura Clark

Robert “Hoot” Gibson has traveled to space five times. Thursday, Gibson is traveling to campus.

Space shuttle astronaut Gibson will share stories of his flights and present a $10,000 scholarship from the Astronaut Scholarship Foundation to fifth-year electrical engineering senior Sam Nicaise. The ceremony is at 11 a.m. Thursday in the Student Center.

Nicaise, a member of the UK Solar Car team, said he is grateful and excited to meet Gibson.

“It’s great because it puts me in touch with Mr. Gibson to see what potential there is for me,” Nicaise said. “It’s great to be connected with someone of that caliber.

“It’s great to know these people start off at the same level you are.”

According to a UK news release, Gibson has been an official NASA astronaut since 1979, and has commanded four out of his five missions. He was inducted into the U.S. Astronaut Hall of Fame in 2003 and serves on the ASF Board of Trustees.

The ASF awards 17 scholarships to outstanding science, engineering or math university students. So far, more than $100,000 has been awarded to UK students.

Nicaise is currently finishing up his last year, applying for a graduate fellowship and planning on earning a Ph.D. in engineering.

Nicaise said he not only want to study research, but he wants to be a leader.

“In some facet, I want to take research to whatever level I can as a professional,” Nicaise said.