New professor earns national recognition for research paper

By Whittney Johnson

Before stepping foot onto UK’s campus, new faculty member Timothy Taylor scored a national research award.

Taylor, an assistant civil engineering professor, was the recipient of the 2009 Dana Meadows Research Paper Award at the International Conference of the System Dynamics Society in Albuquerque, N.M.  Taylor earned his doctorate at Texas A&M University and joined the UK ranks in August.

“The awards committee itself was led by some of the leading system dynamists in the world,” Taylor said. “That means a great deal to be selected by them.”

Taylor grew up in Boone County, Ky., where he watched his father work as a construction contractor.  Inspired by his father, Taylor pursued his career at UK with hopes of someday working with him.  However, shortly before graduation, Taylor’s father suffered health complications and was no longer able to work in the field.

After working a few years in the surface mining industry in Texas, Taylor returned to school to earn his Ph.D. in construction engineering and management.

“I encourage any student, regardless of field, to get some experience in their industry before working towards a doctorate degree,” Taylor said.

Taylor’s dissertation, “Science, Engineering and Technology in the Policy Process for Natural Systems,” explained how scientists and engineers “fit” into public policy process.

The paper focuses on the case of stratospheric ozone depletion, but the main purpose behind the paper is to understand how scientists and engineers influence public policy. Taylor’s current research applies the framework to U.S. civilian nuclear power to understand how scientists and engineers influence society’s risk perception of nuclear power.

Taylor said the paper argued that just because we are spending the money to gain the knowledge, does not always mean we understand what to do with the knowledge we are receiving.

The Dana Meadows Research Paper Award was first presented in 2001, to honor the life and work of Dana Meadows, who died in February of that year, after a long career in education and research focused on a systems approach to social and environmental issues.

Taylor submitted his dissertation to the ICSDS on March 1 and was notified on June 6 of his award.  His paper was selected from 29 student entries as the best research paper submitted to the conference by a student.

Thomas Lester, dean of the College of Engineering, said Taylor’s recent hire was a beneficial decision to the university.

“He comes from one of the outstanding construction management and engineering programs in the United States,” Lester said. “(He) has a substantial amount of practical experience, and will assist our efforts in making our own construction management and engineering program the best in the country.”