City heading down the home stretch for 2010 World Equestrian Games

By Chris Robbins

The second-largest sporting event in North America will be hosted in Lexington in less than one year, and the city is reinventing itself in preparation.

On Sept. 25, 2010 the opening ceremonies for the Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games will take place at the Kentucky Horse Park, kicking off more than two weeks of events that include jumping, eventing, driving, endurance riding and para-equestrianism, according to the Games’ Web site. The Games will commence with closing ceremonies on Oct. 10.

This will be the first time the Games have been held outside of Europe.

“This is an opportunity for all of us who are Kentucky natives and current residents to celebrate our state and to showcase it to the world,” said Amy Walker, public relations manager for the World Equestrian Games Foundation.

Tickets were sold in every state in the U.S. and 37 countries, Walker said. The Games sold 100,000 tickets during the first three days.

General admission tickets will be sold closer to September, which will give attendees access to trade shows, educational experiences and the Alltech Experience, a cultural exposition representing the participating countries and people in the Games, Walker said.

The World Equestrian Games Foundation, the city of Lexington and the Kentucky Horse Park plan to have the majority of spectators park their vehicles at UK’s Coldstream Research Campus on Newtown Pike. A shuttle bus will provide transportation from the parking to the event site.

“There will be 600,000 tickets sold, but a daily attendance of 40,000 to 55,000,” said Krista Greathouse, the mayor’s liaison to the Word Equestrian Games. “There are many events that are happening in Lexington that are of that size. Rush hour may be a little more congested.”

Many of the projects currently clogging up traffic in downtown Lexington and the campus area will be completed when the Games come to town, Greathouse said. The Streetscape Master Plan, which includes the Limestone Street beautification project, is expected to be completed by July 1. The plan also calls for the Newtown Pike Extension

Project to be completed between Main Street and Versailles Road.

The Kentucky Horse Park started construction projects in response to receiving the bid for the Games.

“The Horse Park was able to accelerate their long-term vision to accommodate the Games,” Walker said. “There is a indoor arena seating 6,000 and an outdoor stadium sitting 7,500 permanently, 22,500 temporary seats will be added for the Games.”

Coinciding with the Games at the Horse Park, Lexington will host the Spotlight Festival.

“It is a free 17-day festival in downtown Lexington with three signature venues,” Greathouse said. “We will have the best of Kentucky’s performing and visual artists.”

The festival will be free to all who attend and will feature local, state and national artists to be announced.

UK HealthCare is a sponsor of the World Equestrian Games and has agreed to be the official medical provider for the event. They will provide medical services to participants, spectators and staff at the games, according to a UK news release.

Two events, the long-distance endurance race and the driving competition, will take place in part on property adjacent to the Kentucky Horse Park owned by UK.

A partnership has been made with UK’s College of Agriculture, the official equine program of the World Equestrian Games, said UK spokesman Jimmy Stanton. Through this partnership, the university will consult with game organizers on the care and safety of the animals.

Tickets for events cost between $25 and $150 depending on the event and the seat desired, and are available now online through the Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games Web site, (www.alltechfeigames.com).

The Games by the numbers:

– Tickets were sold in every U.S. state and 37 countries

– 600,000 tickets are available

– Daily attendance expected to be from 40,000 to 55,000

– Indoor arena seating: 6,000

– Outdoor stadium seating: 7,500

– Temporary seating: 22,500

– Ticket prices: $25 to $150