Keeneland brings fresh perspective: Track goes back to roots to attract younger crowd

By Jennifer Parli

The gun will go off and the gates will go up.

Keeneland, a thoroughbred racetrack and Lexington tradition, opens for its fall season Friday.

Jim Williams, director of communications, said racing has been criticized for not reaching out to a younger audience, so Keeneland has made a point to reach out to the younger demographic.

“We have traditionally marketed to a younger audience because we hope that they will enjoy the experience and develop into racing fans,” Williams said. “When they graduate from school, hopefully they will enjoy the racing and continue to return.”

After the races, Keeneland is getting back to its roots with its first Swinging at Sunset. The event will be alongside the racetrack and features the Kentucky Jazz Repertory Orchestra, swing dancing, drink specials and food.

Swing dancers from the local Hepcats Swing Dance Club and the Kentucky Jazz Repertory Orchestra will perform songs from the 1930s and ‘40s.

The Kentucky Jazz Repertory is a 17-piece orchestra and is composed of music professors from local colleges and universities, including UK professors Richard Domek and Miles Osland.

“It’s a great way to go back to the roots and it’s something that suits the traditions of Keeneland,” said Christa Marrillia, marketing and special events coordinator. “The event is a nice way to cap off the races.”

Admission is $5 and parking is free.

Keeneland will be closed Mondays and Tuesdays for the fall meet and will be open Wednesday through Sunday.

For more information, visit the Web site, (www.keeneland.com).