Bill Bauer to perform for Comedy Caravan series

By Colin Walsh

​Comedian Bill Bauer may not be afraid to “embellish” from time to time, but there is always an element of truth to his material.

As a former Vietnam veteran and ambulance driver, Bauer has acquired an impressive résumé. In 1982 Bauer decided to join an improv group, and that decision quickly propelled him to a successful career in stand-up.

Bauer soon found himself performing on his own.

“I was on tour before I knew it,” Bauer said. “I worked every week for a year straight.”

Despite making people laugh for decades, Bauer admits his material never fails to be too much for some people. When at an Animal Expo last week, he shocked one of the workers by saying, “Hi, I’m here to breed with a gorilla. Where do I change?”

Bauer is currently working on a book with fellow comedian Louie Anderson. The book is a collection of short sayings and as of now Anderson and Bauer have about 450 of them. Bauer said sometimes they can even find a way into his act, and shared some of his favorite lines.

“People involved in the rat race are unaware that there is a cat at the finish line,” “denial can best be described as possessing the ability to plan your own surprise party,” and “very few diets start in buffet lines, many end there.”

Bauer’s career in the comedy industry is not limited to stand-up. He has appeared on episodes of the 90’s sitcom “Roseanne”, as well as “Louie Anderson’s Comedy Showcase”. He has also written episodes of “Valdez” and “The Jackie Thomas Show”.

When it comes to writing material and being successful, Bauer had some advice for students.

“I recommend working with a group of three to four people, preferably in a circle,” he said. “It really helps to brainstorm”

Bauer said an experienced comedian knows that the key to success is simple — to just be yourself.

“Don’t borrow anything and it will come to you eventually,” he said. “Be true to who you are.”

Bill Bauer will perform Wednesday at 7 p.m, at The Cat’s Den as part of the weekly Comedy Caravan series. The event is free and open to the public.