Festival shares Chinese culture with Lexington

By Jill Seelmeyer

Chinese-Americans are paying a visit to the man in the moon.

The Kentucky Chinese American Association will hold its 2009 Moon Festival celebration Saturday at Shillito Park.

The festival, which will begin at 4 p.m. and end around 8 p.m., will celebrate this traditional Chinese holiday with a picnic, talent show and entertainment from a variety of performers.

The KYCAA has been in place for about five years and serves to promote cross-cultural understanding, said Changzheng Wang, president of the association.

Wang said the organization works to encourage Chinese-Americans to continue Chinese tradition.

Every year, the KYCAA also holds educational programs and seminars and a Chinese New Year celebration.

The Moon Festival is a celebration that has been part of Chinese culture for over 3,000 years. The festival, also known as the Mid-Autumn Festival, is traditionally a celebration of harvest and agriculture, but it also celebrates family and unity, Wang said.

Wang said Chinese families share a special dessert called moon cakes to celebrate this time of year when the moon is fullest. At the festival, guests will be able to sample around 10 different types of moon cakes, Wang said.

There will also be hot dogs, hamburgers and some traditional Chinese food prepared, Wang said.

Li Xu, president of the Chinese Student Scholar Association at UK, said the festival is “like a Chinese Thanksgiving.”

The CSSA holds its own Moon Festival celebration on campus each year, which will take place later this month, but they will also participate in the festival on Saturday, Xu said.

“There are not that many Chinese people here, so we join together to celebrate,” Xu said.

Some of the organization’s members will be performing dances as part of the festival entertainment, Xu said.

In addition to student performers, Cheryl Pan, a Kentucky Arts Council dance artist, will lead a group of long fan dancers and ribbon dancers in a parade. Pan is the only Chinese dance artist recognized by the Council and has dedicated much time teaching dances to children and adults from different backgrounds, Wang said.

Though the Moon Festival is traditionally a Chinese celebration, Wang said it is also about involving everyone.

“An important part of these festivals is to let people from other cultures know about Chinese culture,” Wang said.