Report: Violent crime, sexual assaults down in 2008

UK Police crime statistics from 2008 were released Tuesday, reporting a decrease of most violent crimes and an increase in drunken driving arrests.

The decrease in the violent crimes, including domestic violence and sexual assault, are attributed in part to more student vigilance, said UK Interim Police Chief Maj. Joe Monroe.

“If you look across the nation, in most areas, violence has gone down, especially on college campuses,” Monroe said.  “Since Virginia Tech, people are more aware of their surroundings, and are quicker to contact police.”

The number of assault cases have alternated between rising and falling each year.  From 2007 to 2008, assault cases rose from 30 to 36. The report cited an increase from 119 arrests for DUI in 2007, to 215 arrests in 2008.   Alcohol intoxication fell from 238 to 213, as well as minor in possession of alcohol arrests, from 54 to nine.

Domestic violence, sexual assault and rape  fell in numbers.  Monroe said the partnership between  UK Police and the Violence, Intervention and Prevention Center contributed to this decrease.

“We work closely together and share information,” Monroe said.  “Some people go there for resources to make sure reports get filed … it seems to be successful.”

Auto theft increased from eight arrests in 2007 to 20 in 2008.  Theft from autos remained the same at 52 arrests.  Traffic citations also increased from 2007-08, from 1,412 to 2,352.

Monroe said more students are reporting activity and crimes before they happen than in previous years.

“This gives us a chance to intervene and be more proactive,” Monroe said.