Todd, SG president give updates on university goals

By Philip Timmerman

UK President Lee Todd joined Student Government President Ryan Smith in the third annual State of the University Address Thursday. The two acknowledged the progress UK has made toward achieving its goal of becoming a top-20 research university.

Todd said despite the financial hardships the students and faculty of UK have endured for the past two years, the university has never lost sight of its goal.

“This university did what great organizations do in trying times,” Todd said. “We worked harder.  We worked smarter. We worked better.”

Hundreds of people were seated in front of the Main Building and around Patterson Office Tower to listen to the presidents’ speeches.

“I wanted to hear what the goals were for this year,” said Nellie He, an undeclared sophomore.

Todd cited statistics to support his affirmation that the university was not only surviving, but thriving. Todd said the university received more than 12,000 applications for this fall’s freshman class, a record for UK.

The average ACT score of the incoming freshmen rose as well, from 24.4 last year to 24.7.  Todd also cited last year’s record enrollment in doctoral and first-professional student programs, as well as the record number of doctoral agrees awarded.

Todd praised the accomplishments of numerous organizations and individuals who are helping the university to reach its goal.  He and Smith  said a major part of becoming a top-20 university is nurturing and maintaining excellence in individuals within the university.

One of the people Todd recognized was Dr. Mark Evers, the new director of UK’s Markey Cancer Center.  Evers and his team brought about $14 million in grant funding to Kentucky.

“I am constantly amazed by the faculty and staff who continue to tell me about how they are helping move us forward in our top-20 march,” Todd said.

Todd recognized numerous student and faculty organizations, as well as the contributions of many other individuals.

Smith also pointed out signs of progress, such as a “dramatic increase” in involvement from the freshman class.  Smith said that application numbers for the UK Emerging Leader Institute were up 75 percent from last year.

Smith spoke about the work SG is doing to improve retention rates at UK, including TallyCats, which he said will “enhance the sense of community amongst students” by bringing more students out to every type of UK-sponsored event.  Smith said he hoped increased student involvement would increase student retention.