Todd, Smith to address campus issues at speech

By Brandon Farmer

Thursday’s State of the University Address will outline key topics that President Lee Todd and Student Government President Ryan Smith feel are important to the student body and to the state in general.

In an interview with the Kernel on Wednesday, Todd expressed his concern on UK’s involvement with the community.

“I remember when I first came, that (community involvement) was something I thought was pretty fundamental,” Todd said. “We have to get out around the state and do things that are representative of the Kentucky person.”

Todd said he wants to recognize individuals who have assisted UK in its effort to improve the state and assist the university with achieving top-20 status.

“It’ll be a bit of a recognition ceremony,” Todd said. “Trying to recognize some of the people on campus who are helping us really show that we are a university of the state.”

Smith said the address would include an evaluation of SG’s performance in the past year and an idea of what to expect in the future.

“I’m going to look at some of the initiatives and the programs we’ve put into place this year,” Smith said, “We’ve been working with TallyCats on the scholarship drive and we’ve continued to offer services like childcare grants and free legal services for students.”

Smith said he wishes to push the university closer to the top-20 mark.

“We’re helping with the top-20 goal in the area of retention with this TallyCats program and with the scholarship drive,” Smith said. “It’s really going to help keep the best and the brightest students around, especially in these economic times.”

Smith said he was concerned about SG’s relationship with the administration.

“One of the things I want to do is continue to build a strong relationship with the administration,” Smith said. “I represent students, that’s my first priority, but it’s really important that I realize my responsibility is to advocate for students. We’ve got to work with the administration and we’re doing that this year.”

Smith said he encourages students to attend the address.

“I don’t think that many people get a chance to hear first hand from President Todd on some of the goals of his administration and the goals of the university,” Smith said. “I think that it offers a really unique perspective and a good opportunity to listen to what he has to say.”