Gillispie offered plea deal

Former UK men’s basketball coach Billy Gillispie has been offered a plea bargain, Gillispie’s attorney said.

William Patrick could not talk about the intricacies of the plea deal offered to his client by Anderson County attorney Bobbi Jo Lewis. Patrick said the Kentucky Rules of Professional Attorneys don’t allow him to.

Patrick said plea bargains made by the prosecution are routine in such cases and ultimately, it will be Gillispie’s choice in what path he chooses to take.

“I can offer him my advice,” Patrick said. “But ultimately it is his decision.”

Gillispie was arrested and charged with drunken driving in Anderson County on Aug. 27. It was the third time Gillispie had been arrested on alcohol-related driving charges, though he has never been convicted of DUI.

Gillispie has since checked into an alcohol rehab clinic in Houston. He is scheduled to appear in court in Anderson County on Oct. 5.

Todd, Barnhart depositions postponed

Depositions with UK President Lee Todd and UK Athletic Director Mitch Barnhart were postponed due to scheduling conflicts with the lawyers of former UK men’s basketball head coach Billy Gillispie, said Kevin Henry, one of the outside trial council members for UK.

The depositions with Todd and Barnhart were scheduled for Monday before the postponement.

It is still uncertain as to when the depositions will take place, Henry said.

Gillispie is currently in a legal battle with the university over an unsigned contract from when he was the head coach. Gillispie filed a lawsuit in Dallas that targeted the UK Athletics Association. Gillispie’s suit said that under his Memorandum of Understanding, he should be paid $1.5 million each year for four of the five years left on the deal.

UK says Gillispie filed the lawsuit against the wrong entity. UK attorneys argue that UK, and not the UK Athletics Association, was Gillispie’s employer.