SG deadlines fast approaching, weekend game provides relief

Column by Ryan Smith

After three weeks of waiting, the weekend we’ve all been waiting for is finally here. It’s time for in-state bragging rights to return to UK as the football team takes on the University of Louisville this Saturday. I hope you are all as excited as I am for what is sure to be an incredible game.

We have the best fans in the country, so we know Commonwealth Stadium will be rockin’. However, to reinforce our solidarity in cheering for the Cats, Student Government is partnering with UK Athletics to turn Commonwealth Stadium into a “Sea of Blue.” The formula isn’t calculus, it’s actually quite easy: Come early. Be loud. Wear blue. Enjoy victory! We encourage you to join Big Blue Nation in wearing solid blue to the game on Saturday so we can see blue throughout the Commonwealth!

And don’t forget, the game is our 5 TallyCat event, so swipe your Wildcard for a chance to win some free swag. We’ll have students set up with card readers at the student entrance and near the ramp to the upper level until the end of the first quarter. Be sure to stop by! After the game, head to www.tallycats.com and login with your LinkBlue ID to check your point totals and learn more about the program.

The game isn’t the only source of excitement on campus this week, though. In case you haven’t checked it out already, this week has been full of DanceBlue events as a part of their newest fundraising campaign, “Blitz Week.” Dozens of DanceBlue representatives have been – and will continue to be – around campus if you are interested in getting involved. Just look for the yellow ribbon. Furthermore, all UK students are invited to the first ever DanceBlue Rave from 8 to 11 p.m. in the Cat’s Den on Friday night. DanceBlue is the largest student-run philanthropy event on campus, which supports the UK Pediatric Oncology Clinic, and any event put on by the program is definitely something you don’t want to miss.

This is also a significant week for SG. Applications for the Freshman Leadership Development Program were due last week and we’re conducting interviews this week. We have more than 140 well-qualified freshmen applicants from which to choose. That’s the largest turnout in the history of the program and almost doubles the amount that applied last year. It’s great to see so many of you have heard about the initiatives Student Government is offering and we hope you’ll continue to show such high interest as we work to provide you with additional opportunities to enact positive change on campus while developing your leadership abilities.

Freshmen Senate applications are now available online and in our office in room 120 of the Student Center. For the freshmen, this is the first opportunity to have a say in how SG represents our student body, and we hope you’ll take the chance to make a difference here at UK. Applications are open to any freshman who would like to run for Senate. There are four spots to fill and we are expecting a very competitive field for this election as well. Applications are due on Oct. 1 and the election will be held in mid-October. Be on the lookout for campaign signs and eager freshmen!

Also, for any UK student with a child and has a need for financial assistance with daycare, Student Government Childcare Grant applications are due this Friday, Sept. 18. We know being a student is not easy – being a parent and student doubles that challenge. These grants, awarded each semester by SG, demonstrate our commitment to providing additional funding and resources to students that need assistance caring for their children while they attend class. The grants are limited in number and are awarded according to a demonstrated need by the student. Apply by visiting www.uksga.org and clicking on “Applications” on the left-hand side. If there are any questions, please stop by our office or e-mail us at [email protected].

As you can see, we’re working hard to ensure the needs of students are met and we are always looking for students to help us out. If you have something you’re passionate about changing, stop by and let’s have a conversation about it. Our door is always open and we are here to advocate on your behalf. Let’s work together to ensure our community of 27,000-plus students has the best experience possible. I look forward to seeing you out this weekend, at the game, immersed in a “Sea of Blue,” throughout the rest of the semester at TallyCat events, and all of the other great events offered by our student organizations and university departments. Go Cats!