TaxiCats cuts rates to encourage use

By Anna Hawthorne

A revised TaxiCats program now offers students an enhanced discount on taxis using a valid UK ID.

TaxiCats is a service provided by All American Taxi and the UK Parking and Transportation Services (PTS).

Chrissie Balding Tune, marketing and promotion specialist senior for UK PTS, said the TaxiCats discount used to be 10 percent but has gone up to 15 percent this semester in an effort to help students.

Tune said the increased discount could be very useful when going to places off the map, such as to the airport. Fayette Mall and Hamburg Place have also been popular locations for this service, she said.

Students can travel within the boundaries of Chevy Chase, Broadway, Greg Page Apartments and Main Street for only $2 per person, according to the TaxiCats Web site.

“People need to say they are UK students when calling so they know ahead of time. You can also use your plus account, so if you have your student ID, you don’t have to worry about cash,” Tune said.

There are about 30 drivers on call at all times, and the average wait for a taxi is about 15 to 20 minutes, said Chris Martha, general manager for All American Taxi.

“Students mostly use it to go back and forth between bars, or to class, just depends if it is hot or raining,” said Martha. “We’re just wanting more people to take advantage of it.”

TaxiCats is available to students 24/7 by calling 381-TAXI.

By Anna Hawthorne