Line dancing class offered free in Cat’s Den

By Philip Timmerman

Plaid shirts and large belt buckles are just the thing to wear to the country line dance being held this Friday night in the Cat’s Den.

“The event entails good country music, good people and a fun atmosphere,” said Brandon Armendt, Cats Den’s event coordinator and a marketing and foreign language international economics senior.

UK alumnus Keller Campbell, who will be calling, or leading, the dance, will take the first hour to teach the basics of western-style square dancing. Campbell, who has been calling line dances for the past 30 years, said that the dance will consist mostly of this kind of dancing.

He plans to play such tunes as “Born to Boogie” and “Patty Cake Polka,” as well as crowd favorites like “The Electric Slide” and “The Cha Cha Slide.” He will also include plenty of other non line-dancing songs to ensure that no one gets bored of line dancing.

“They’ll have a lot of fun. That’s the way I do it,” Campbell said.

All students and faculty are invited to come out to the dance, even those who have never line danced before.

Armendt helped Jesse Wingert, Spanish and foreign language international economics senior, also a special events coordinator, to organize the event.

Wingert said the line dance is a result of a survey taken last year by the Cat’s Den to ascertain what sort of events students wanted to see in the Cat’s Den. One of the most common responses was themed dance parties.

The line dance in particular was Wingert’s idea. He noticed there wasn’t much opportunity for this kind of country fun around campus.

“Jesse wanted something that may hit different pockets of the student population that are not typically catered to,” Armendt said.

The free line-dance classes will be offered from 7 p.m. to midnight this Friday night in the Cat’s Den.