Two familiar faces hired to new positions

By Chris Robbins

Two former UK faculty members have been hired as academic officials for the 2009-10 school year.

Dr. Michael Mullen has come on as the associate provost for undergraduate education, and  Dr. Lee Edgerton has been brought in as the new academic ombud.

As associate provost, Mullen will oversee the Undergraduate Studies program, UK’s general education requirements which are currently being reformed.

“Associate provost is a position that essentially coordinates a large number of programs and services directed toward undergraduate education at UK,” Mullen said.

According to the Office of Undergraduate Education’s Web site, those programs include the Center for Academic Tutoring Services, the Teaching and Academic Support Center, the Discovery Seminar Program, and the Honors Program.

Mullen became associate provost on Aug. 17, after Provost Kumble Subbaswamy asked Mullen to take the position in July.

In 2002, Mullen came to the university as a professor of plant and soil sciences in the College of Agriculture.  Mullen vacates a position as Associate Dean of Academic Programs for the College of Agriculture, which he held since 2004. He coordinated the college’s degree programs, advising, and scholarships, and oversaw the growth of enrollment and retention.

Edgerton, also of the College of Agriculture, previously served as academic ombud from 1995 to 1998.

“The position is one that requires and allows you to work more closely with individuals than you do in many other situations,” Edgerton said. “I hope my experience has allowed me to identify some resolutions that others would be unaware of.”

Edgerton was the former director of undergraduate studies in the department of animal and food sciences and an agriculture professor at UK since 1975.  Provost Subbaswamy selected Edgerton from recommendations selected by a committee of students and faculty.

The academic ombud serves as a mediator between students and instructors when conflicts arise due to academic issues, and as a resource for faculty to clarify rules.

“You are dealing with issues in which there is a problem to be solved, a conflict between individuals,” Edgerton said.  “I find that interesting.”