New major brings focus to true diversity

Last year students at UK noticed an increase in the university’s efforts to bring diversity to the forefront of the minds of student’s, faculty and staff. With the addition of UK Vice President for Institutional Diversity Judy “J.J.” Jackson, the university has seen changes made in events, activities and task forces involving diversity.

However, while diversity became a priority for UK, the definition was never made clear. Diversity is about as ambiguous as it can get, with many students wondering what really constitutes a diverse campus. This year, with the addition of the new Gender and Women’s Studies Department, the definition seems to be a bit more clear.

Diversity is not about events and activities where students are solicited to attend, earning points to win prizes distributed by Student Government. Diversity means creating more aware and accepting students. Giving the student body an opportunity to study a subject focused on gender issues, gender’s role in society and how it plays a role in the every day lives of students, accomplishes this goal. By offering a bachelor’s degree in Gender and Women’s Studies, students gain a diverse perspective of the world around them.

In a news story about the new department on the Gender and Women’s Studies Web site, 2008-2009 Interim Director Susan Bordo says a degree in Gender and Women’s Studies develops both skills and a perspective they would not find in any other department.

“In the twenty-first century, somebody who is comfortable talking about cultural difference, someone who understands racial dynamics, who has worked in an interdisciplinary way, is someone who can bring something really appealing to any number of jobs,” Bordo said.

While UK still has a long road ahead of them when it comes to creating a truly diverse campus, the addition of the Gender and Women’s Studies department is one tangible step forward in the right direction and is in line with the university’s diversified way of thinking. The department’s creation makes a real impact on the student body. In the future, we all look forward to seeing even more changes made that will set this university apart by shaping their students into an even more aware student body.