Public discussion keeps library open

Coming into this year, it was unclear whether or not the W. T. Young Library would remain open 24 hours during the school week, but a partnership of UK leadership stepped up to the plate to keep the hours the same. Making sure students have the necessary resources is an honorable move, especially considering the economic times.

In the face of budget cuts, the university had to carefully decide where money could be saved, which caused last year’s library saga. The problem was less of an issue with the change, but more of how it happened. It was decided and announced that the library would close between 2 and 7 a.m. during the week.

Students had to deal with the fact that things had changed and there didn’t seem to be anything that could be done about it. At least until students revolted in protest to ensure the library remained open 24/5. Student Government and the Provost ponied up the necessary funds to keep the hours open and, in the end, everyone was happy.

Student Government said they are prepared to help with funding if an emergency situation arises, the Provost and administration understand how important the library is to students and, finally, disclosure has increased in most initiatives that affect students.

Students learned that their voices, if combined, can be a powerful conduit for change, while administration and university leaders did the responsible thing and listened to student feedback. From there, public discussions and dialogue involving the students happened and the situation seemed to be resolved. Students should take heed to the power of their voices, along with using the library that fellow students fought to keep open. But, for now, it looks as if all parties are working to fight through the economy and give students a great resource and place to study.