New major added to curriculum

By Kayla Phelps

New and undecided students now have a new option when considering what field they should obtain their bachelor’s degree in.

Formerly an academic minor, the Gender and Women’s Studies program was made into its own department in the College of Arts and Sciences in June.

Although this change has been in the works for years, the plans took off in 2005 when Dean Steven Hoch approached the program with a five-year proposal.

Once the department had the support  of the College of Arts and Sciences, the plan was put into action, said Patricia Cooper, the first Gender and Women Studies department chair.

With the new department’s development, three new faculty were hired to the program in 2006 and 2007, Cooper said.

Cooper was director of the Gender and Women’s Studies program in 1994 for four years.  She said she is honored to be the first department chair.

“I was entering a new phase in coming to UK and now I am the first chair,” Cooper said.  “That just shows how far other people had taken the program. They moved it forward by leaps and bounds.”

Cooper’s main focus in the upcoming year is the undergraduate major. She wants to create a warm, friendly environment with mentors and activities for majors as well as minors.

“The major is just being launched and a great part of that is publicity. Getting the word out is important,” Cooper said.

Senior Ericka Barbour switched her major this year from biology to Gender and Women’s Studies for its focus on equality.

“It shows people that there’s not a right or wrong way to live your life and that everyone is equal,” Barbour said.

With the major just getting started, Cooper said she expects 20 students fairly quickly. While it is a small department, she feels it is something different offered at UK.

“A lot of research over the past decade has been about the United States,” Cooper said.  “We want to have a more global perspective. I think that’s what makes us unique.”

“UK is steep in tradition. It isn’t necessary to change these ideas, but definitely to remold them,” Barbour said.  “Certain social rules have been established and it is time to question them.”