Fraternity moves out, women move in

A former fraternity house on campus has transformed into an all-girls dormitory.

Twenty-eight freshmen women, a sophomore resident adviser and a hall director live at 441 Pennsylvania Avenue, formerly the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity house.

Ben Crutcher, associate Vice President of Auxiliary Services, said the decision to turn the house into a residence hall was made in late July.

“After we decided to open it up for the general student population, we called students that were on the wait list (for housing) and offered them a bed in that particular building,” Crutcher said.

The dorm is only slated to remain open until May 2010, Crutcher said.

Members of Sigma Phi Epsilon were evicted their fraternity house after an alleged hazing incident on May 8. The fraternity received a two-year suspension, but won their appeal to the University Appeals Board on June 16.

The fraternity was then placed on disciplinary probation until July 11, 2011, and must abide by 15 sanctions imposed by the university.

Aaron Tutt, the UK Alpha Chapter’s president, said he was never informed of the fraternity house’s transformation.

Sigma Phi Epsilon must wait until later this month for the chapter’s national board review members of the fraternity by individually interviewing them, Tutt said. Members will be reviewed on participation and their GPA. Tutt said the board will decide who stays in the chapter and who goes.

“We’re going to lose some more guys that way, and it hurt that we didn’t recruit this fall,” Tutt said. “But it’s not over, it’s just been a bumpy ride.”

Shianne Williams, an English and psychology freshman, was on the housing waitlist before she was notified in late July that she would be living on Pennsylvania.

Williams rooms with 3 other roommates in the now suite-style dorm. She jokingly said she was a little mad she couldn’t re-apply to live in the dorm next year.

“People come here and say (to us) we’re living in luxury,” Williams said. “It’s not that bad … I don’t have to fight for a shower.”