Student activism key to creating positive change on campus

Column by Austin Schmitt

What do a massive amount of Americans divided over healthcare have in common with UK students? How do the images from the summer of citizens gathering in large numbers to voice their opinions on healthcare relate to UK’s campus?

It is a lot more relevant than one could imagine. The passionate displays streamed across media outlets day in and day out are extreme displays of what UK students accomplished just last year and a reminder of what they can do this upcoming year and years in the future.

While most of the UK student population retreated away from campus this summer, something happened to this country. An important bill devoted to reforming healthcare in the U.S. attempted to slide through Congress and into the lives of every single American citizen.

Members of Congress from all 50 states began to take notice of the bill as its incognito attempt to be passed caught the eye of the American people. Congressional representatives could not get enough votes to pass this bill and took a recess for the rest of the summer.

Media outlets led the charge as debates on healthcare divided a Congress and their constituents. Representatives across the country floundered to their respective districts and states to lead “town hall” meetings to discuss the healthcare reform movement.

No one could have predicted what would happen next.

Angry Americans across the home of the free flocked to the places where the meetings were held. Many stood up and told their representative what and how they felt.

Citizen groups organized and argued for both sides of the bill. Healthcare became the polarizing issue of the summer. Town hall meetings erupted into a clash of ideals.

Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi, called these upset opponents of the healthcare bill “un-American” in an August 10 column in USA Today. Pelosi was a little harsh in her characterization of pro-active Americans as “un-American.” Pro-active Americans are what this country needs and UK students can take their actions as an example of what a passionate group of people can accomplish.

Last school year, William T. Young Library cut its hours down from 24 hours a day to a portion of that due to reductions in their budget. This did not sit well with the students and they started to vocalize their concerns with the reduced hours.

These concerns forced campus leaders to act and listen to the heartbeat of the campus: the students. Student Government put up enough money, along with Provost Kumble Subbaswamy’s office, to reopen the library for 24 hours a day.

It is apparent what an organized student body can do for this campus. It doesn’t take a polarizing issue to invoke change at UK. Something as simple as library hours proves it only takes a little push to get students riled up.

Toward the end of the school year in the spring, the UK Parking and Transportation Service announced they would enforce mandatory registration of all bicycles on campus. A measly $15 would have to be forked up by bicyclists across campus in order to ride and chain their bikes to a melded assembly of metal poles.

This turned out to be too much for students across campus. They voiced their concerns to the Kernel, UK Parking and Transportation and other outlets. Five days later – only five days later – Parking and Transportation revoked the fee.

UK students showed the power of being able to organize and invoke change on campus last year. Organizations like “Tea Party Patriots” can be a model for students on how to create discussion with issues they consider important.

With certain issues prior to this year, UK students were able to form a concern toward issues on campus. Fresh out of the gate, new UK students have an opportunity to voice concerns over a program that seems to have a hidden agenda. Past and current UK students know the frustration that is caused by being stuck in the bureaucracy of the university.

So ask the questions. Become informed. What is the worst thing that can happen? Changes are made for the better?