Sports Briefs

Baseball team swept for the first time since 2005

For the first time since 2005, the No. 9 UK baseball team was swept in a three-game series, dropping the final game 6-4 yesterday to No. 11 Georgia in Athens, Ga. The Cats dropped the series opener 3-2 Friday before being pounded Saturday 13-4.

The Cats (26-8, 7-8 Southeastern Conference) blew a one-run lead in the seventh inning yesterday and totaled a season-low four hits at the dish. Their previous low came Saturday when the Cats mustered only seven hits.

Georgia (23-12, 12-3 SEC), the conference’s frontrunner, trailed by three runs heading into the bottom of the fifth frame. But the Bulldogs tallied two runs in the fifth, chasing UK senior starting pitcher Greg Dombrowski from the game in the process.

The Bulldogs got to the Cats’ bullpen in the sixth inning. After a single and a pair of walks, right fielder Matt Olson scored on a wild pitch to tie the game. Left fielder Lyle Allen’s ground ball forced in another run and gave Georgia the lead for good.

UK will remain on the road for a mid-week game against Cincinnati tomorrow. The Cats will return home to Cliff Hagan Stadium on Wednesday to face Morehead State.

Gymnastics team takes fifth place at regionals

The No. 20 UK gymnastics team concluded its season over the weekend by placing fifth in the NCAA Central Regional in Baton Rouge, La.

The Cats finished with a score of 194.950, just .175 points behind the third place finisher Ohio State. Louisiana State took first with a 197.625.

UK’s best event of the weekend came on the vault. The Cats stuck a 49.100 with three 9.850s by freshman Andre Mitchell, and sophomores Emilie Rymer and Hilary Ferguson.

“They fought hard,” head coach Mo Mitchell said. “Unfortunately we dug ourselves a hole in the first event. We needed more determination. But mark my words, we will go to nationals next year.”

COMPILED FROM UK ATHLETICS REPORTS