UK HealthCare’s use of technology benefiting patients

With President Lee Todd blogging and UK Athletics tweeting about the latest news in sports, it was only a matter of time before another UK entity joined the social networking craze.

UKHealthCare has recently started using Web sites like Facebook, Twitter and YouTube to better connect with their patients in this technological age, according to a Kernel article. And since so many of us spend a large amount of time online each day, it is the perfect way to reach out to today’s consumer.

No longer will we have to search aimlessly around the Web to research and learn about a health problem we may be experiencing. Everything will be in a single location, with information coming from actual physicians — and physicians we can trust.

The Facebook page of UKHealthCare allows users access to news, events and video links, according to the Kernel article. Twitter will provide virtually the same information, just in a quick, 140-character format.

The YouTube account will be used to post medical-related videos, including clips of doctors discussing health issues and videos highlighting medical discoveries, according to the article.

While these various Web sites should not be used in place of a doctor’s visit, it’s nice to know that the UK community, and those seeking information nationwide, will have a reliable source of information.

However, the people without access to the Internet are typically the ones who need this information the most. Therefore, UKHealthCare needs to try to find other ways to reach out to these people who may not have a plethora of information available at their fingertips.

Â