UK-owned apartments to remain open after dorm plan delayed

By Laura Clark

The first phase of UK’s 26-year student housing development plan has been postponed, resulting in the rescheduled demolition of Cooperstown Apartments until next summer.

“We haven’t even been able to issue a request for a proposal yet,” said Ben Crutcher, UK’s vice president for Auxiliary Service. “We’re expecting it will take six months from the time we issue a proposal until we get a contract signed.”

The 53-year-old apartment complex, located behind W. T. Young Library on Woodland Avenue, was scheduled to close at the end of the summer. The approximately 20 residents who already vacated the apartments due to the scheduled demolition were given the choice to return to their apartments at Cooperstown or stay where they are, Crutcher said.

Before the complex demolition date was moved, current Cooperstown residents were to be relocated to Greg Page Apartments. Now, those residents have the option to remain at the complex for the next academic year. The residents were notified Monday.

Livia Coelhou, 34, an English as a Second Language student, is leaving for Brazil in August. Coelhou has lived in Cooperstown with her family for two years, and is thankful she no longer has to move out of her apartment before she leaves.

“I’m glad I get to continue to live here,” Coelhou said.

Once a contractor is chosen, a new complex will take the place of the current Cooperstown Apartments.

Some options of the new layout include creating retail space on the first floor, in addition to the second, third and fourth floors for residents.

“If the project continues and stays on the list, we’ll do all the contracting and negotiations during the 2009-2010 school year,” Crutcher said.

The UK Campus Housing project is part of a plan that will result in the majority of campus dormitories being renovated or completely demolished for new buildings.

UK Campus Housing has scheduled a Cooperstown’s residents meeting for 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, June 24 in the W. T. Young Library Auditorium for those who have questions about the demolition plan.