After classes, grab a summer Kernel and head to the pool

It’s summer, yeah. But that six-letter word doesn’t necessarily mean a three-month relaxation period for all.

Summer, which is commonly associated with exotic destinations, fruity drinks and an extreme amount of pool time, is not a reality for those stuck here in Lexington working full time or taking summer classes.

It is 574 miles to Myrtle Beach from here. A little over a nine hour drive, which, even if you booked it to the interstate after your early morning class, you could not drive there and back in a day.

Thinking Virginia Beach may be closer?

Think again. Add an extra 15 minutes to that Idrive above and, 600 miles later, Virginia Beach is not an option either.

So, simply put, just because it’s summer doesn’t mean life ends as we know it. Reality is still here, looming in the distance. But, have no fear, there will be a lovely staff here at the Kernel putting out a weekly paper chalked full of campus news, sports and, of course, juicy, celebrity gossip.

And yes, Sudoku will still be on page two as always.

While we would love to sit here and chat for an extended amount of time about the joys of summer and the elusive heat wave that will most likely make its way through our state at some point, we are going to have to cut it short.

Since this is only an eight-week paper, we will only be on the newsstands once a week. Because of this, we are hoping, in between classes of course, that you help us out.

This is still a newspaper and student feedback is highly encouraged. The staff here this summer is in no way giving up their summer to put out this paper. We are doing something that we hope to make careers out of one day. So, with that said, send us some responses — good or bad.

Got a news tip? E-mail us at [email protected].

With that, all that is really left to say is thanks for reading this summer.

Also, looking to still have some time by the poolside? Buy a baby pool and a float. Any averaged-height person can fit in there from head to toe. This saves you some gas and the pool admission fee. Just beware of creepy neighbors looming over the fence.