City churches plan for day of prayer

By Travis Walker

On the first Thursday of May, Christians observe the National Day of Prayer all over the country.

This year marks the 58th time this annual ritual has occurred, beginning in 1952 when President Harry Truman signed a joint congressional resolution into law, according to the National Day of Prayer Task Force Web site.

In Lexington, some churches are holding events to celebrate the National Day of Prayer.  Three churches on Tates Creek Road – Centenary United Methodist Church, Tates Creek Christian Church and Immanuel Baptist Church – will hold a joint evening service from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. at Centenary United Methodist Church on the corner of Old Mount Tabor and Tates Creek roads.

According to the National Day of Prayer Task Force Web site, there will also be events at the Lexington Baptist Temple from 6:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., where the sanctuary will be open all day for prayer, and at Trinity Hill United Methodist Church on Tates Creek Road where there will be a combined service between First United Methodist Church, Trinity Hill United Methodist Church and Southern Hills United Methodist Church ­from 7 to 8 p.m.

“(The National Day of Prayer) is something historically this country has recognized for a long time,” said Libby Brumfield, the chairwoman for the National Day of Prayer at Centenary United Methodist Church.

Brumfield said the service would focus on the seven prayer points offered on the National Day of Prayer Task Force Web site.  These points cover the issues of government, military, media, business, education, church and family.

While many Christians celebrate the day of prayer and view it as a good thing, it has caused some controversy.

A letter was sent to President Barack Obama in April, urging him to make a declaration that “ … explicitly opens this day, established by President Truman, to clergy and believers of all religions, as well as those who profess no religion” by the Interfaith Council and Jews On First, organizations dedicated to the separation between church and state.

“Please use your power of proclamation to restore the annual day of prayer to what President Harry Truman intended in 1952, when he established the National Day of Prayer which called on Americans to both pray and meditate in what ever way was appropriate for them,” the letter stated.