Blog post draws Ron Paul’s son to UK

By Katelyn Dauer

If a speech Thursday is any indication, getting the son of a former presidential candidate to campus is as easy as blogging about it.

The speech by Rand Paul, son of U.S. Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, was planned after the vice president of the UK group Students for Liberty wrote a blog post about how badly he wished Rand Paul would come to the university. The next day, Rand Paul contacted Students for Liberty about visiting, group president Michael Otis said.

Students for Liberty will sponsor Rand Paul’s speech on freedom and what it means to be a Republican, 7 p.m. Thursday in Memorial Hall. Otis expects about 200 to 300 people to attend.

Rand Paul is the founder and president of the anti-tax organization Kentucky Taxpayers United. He is a rising star in Kentucky politics and may run for the U.S. Senate next year, Otis said.

Otis said Rand Paul and his father represent a movement that suggests the size of government should be reduced.

“Rand Paul and his better-known father, Ron Paul, pale in comparison to the movement and philosophy they represent,” Otis said. “Tyranny is old. Big government has been around as long as humans have. Freedom is a relatively new idea. Freedom distinguishes America from any other country in history.”

The grassroots organization the Political Exploration and Awareness Committee PAC, has created a Web site to “provide support and persuade Rand Paul to run for U.S. senator of Kentucky in 2010,” according to rand2010.com, the Web site sponsored by the group.

According to the group, Paul shows leadership, integrity and respect for the U.S. Constitution.

“Most of us criticize our government officials for their lack of conviction, transparency and accountability,” the Web site states. “We tire of their vague statements, lack of vision and lobbyist ties. For those dedicated to restoring our constitutional republic and returning to the roots of self-responsibility, Rand Paul would truly be a breath of fresh air. The people of Kentucky and the United States are waiting.”

Otis said he hopes Thursday’s event will open up a debate on campus and inspire young people to learn about the issues.

“All too often, Republicans and Libertarians alike are disregarded, and hopefully this makes it heard,” Otis said. “I think everyone that comes will learn from everyone else.”