Students sweep up campus: Earthdays event to clean UK

By Andrew Blankenship

Individuals who want to help make the Earth a cleaner place will get their chance Wednesday, as students gather to pick up trash left around campus.

As part of a month-long celebration, Earthdays in the Bluegrass is hosting Campus Clean-Up, which will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. at Stoll Field. Students who participate will receive a free T-shirt.

Earthdays in the Bluegrass is sponsored by Residence Life Sustainability and UK Greenthumb and includes environmentally conscious events throughout the month of April.

Other events this month have included lectures, films and workshops.The Clean-Up is open to “whoever wants to come out,” Matthew Kramer, the assistant recycling coordinator for Residence Life and a member of UK Greenthumb, said.

UK Greenthumb participates in Kentucky’s Adopt-A-Highway program and picks up litter on state highway 1973 south of Lexington. However, this is the first year that they’ve held a community service event on campus, Kramer said.

Scott Beckmeyer, co-chair of UK Greenthumb, hopes the Clean-Up becomes a frequent event on campus.

“We have wanted to do this for a long time now,” Beckmeyer said. “We thought, ‘if everyone kept their own community clean, we wouldn’t have these global issues facing us today.’ ”