LexTran holds public forums to improve service

By Sarah Wilder

The Lexington Transit Authority will hold public meetings to present the findings of an operational study, hoping to make improvements to the system.

The comprehensive operational analysis was performed by RLS & Associates, Inc., a firm based out of Dayton, Ohio. The preliminary findings were based on results of passenger surveys, rider counts and stakeholder interviews. The firm also determined the top-performing routes compared with 2004, according to a news release by LexTran.

Kevin Mischler of RLS & Associates, Inc., and LexTran General Manager Rocky Burke will present the findings at a series of meetings, including Wednesday at 5 p.m. at the Lexington Public Library’s central location at 140 E. Main Street.

Among the findings, the operational analysis said 78 percent of the riders are ages 18 to 49, and 30 percent of the riders use public transportation for school purposes, according to the news release.

However, the number of student riders has gone down within the last five years. In 2004, 66 percent of riders used a student fare, compared with the current 25 percent.

The forums are designed to facilitate the discussion of possible improvements among the public with the representatives in attendance.

These meetings will be an opportunity for the public to voice their opinions on how to improve LexTran routes and to give their reactions on the potential service changes suggested, Mischler said.

He said students from UK and Transylvania make up the majority of the riders, and he encourages them to attend.

“College students are a significant part of our riders,” Mischler said. “We are always looking for their input and suggestions.”

David Riggins, LexTran’s director of community affairs, said the public will be presented with the latest findings at the meeting, as well as be able to provide input and suggestions.

“We are starting to plan for the next four to five years, and want help from the public,” he said.