Kicked to the curb: Local organizations encourage students to donate used furniture

By Kayla Phelps

The end of the school year is quickly approaching and students are moving out of residence halls, apartments and houses around campus.

In an effort to prevent students from disposing of unwanted furniture, the Salvation Army Thrift Store, Habitat for Humanity ReStore and Goodwill want to remind students of the opportunity to donate.

While there are a lot of items to be thrown away, it is important to make sure the items donated are beneficial and places are not used as a trash service, Rachel Childress, executive director for Habitat for Humanity, said.

“It is important to be a part of our generous community,” she said. “It is a great and easy way to give back and start adult life.”Items and funds donated to the Habitat for Humanity ReStore go toward building Habitat houses. They openly accept all donations, as long as it is within business hours.

ReStore employees will be available to assist students in unloading and donating, Childress said.

The Salvation Army, an international Christian-based movement, is designed to help families in need.

“Our goal is to help people who don’t have the money to help themselves, especially with the hard times going on,” Bethany Bryant, an employee at the Salvation Army located at 228 E. New Circle Road, said.

“We see a lot of students come in toward the end of the year,” Bryant said. “There are always employees who are right on it to help out.”

Childress said Habitat’s ReStore does not see an overwhelming number of students.

“When students are busy with finals, they often forget,” Childress said. “This is a perfect time to remind students and raise awareness.”

For more information on donating, contact the local stores: Salvation Army Thrift Store at (859) 252-2224, Habitat ReStore at (859) 254-6724 or any Goodwill (859) 277-3661.