Defensive lineman tackles a new challenge

In Saturday’s Blue-White game, rising senior defensive end Jeremy Jarmon appeared healthy and well-prepared on his path to the 2009 season. That path includes many stops he and his teammates will take together — training camp, final exams — but Jarmon is making one pit stop by himself.

Jarmon will study abroad this summer in France.

The month-long trip to Paris, which Jarmon said will have nothing to do with football other than staying in shape, will allow the 2007 All-Southeastern Conference performer to study, enjoy his time in the classroom and “visit a few friends” scattered throughout Europe.

“My roommate is from Germany, 45 minutes south of Frankfurt, so there’s that,” Jarmon said. “I have friends in Amsterdam. This time when I’m over there, I’ll probably make a trip to Stockholm and another trip to Amsterdam. I still have to get my rail pass, so we’ll see what other places I hit up while I’m over there.”

Jarmon sought his coaches’ approval before setting the trip in stone, and Jarmon said head coach Rich Brooks was his biggest advocate. Brooks asked where Jarmon was going and when Jarmon told him, Brooks told Jarmon he “had to take advantage of that wonderful opportunity.”

“He didn’t have to ask me, he had to ask the head coach,” said defensive coordinator Steve Brown, who Jarmon still consulted on the trip. “He’s very articulate, a very intelligent young man. He’s basically trying to broaden his horizons by traveling abroad, and I applaud anyone who tries to be more well-rounded.”

Jarmon’s attempt at being well-rounded includes the diverse courses he’s considering to take in Paris. Although he hasn’t narrowed it down yet, he’s considering a French culture class, a psychology class, and a photography class to take advantage of his new digital camcorder.

“I just bought this new video camera, and I already have a digital camera that I use a lot,” Jarmon said. “Why not try to learn how to use them better?”

He’ll eventually choose two of those classes, he said, and enjoy the rest of his time in the gym and visiting friends like he’s done on previous trips to Europe.

“When he’s traveling, that’s pretty much our time off, but we’re encouraged to train and work hard,” rising senior defensive tackle Corey Peters said. “He’ll have a great time. I’ve heard some stories from his previous trips, but I’d probably need his permission to share some of them. He’ll be the life of the party like he is here in Kentucky.”

Jarmon plans on blogging for the UK Athletics Web site during his trip, sending some photos home along the way.

Between time in the classroom, the gym and on Europe’s railroads, Jarmon’s time off may be anything but. Brown said it’s just another pit stop down the long road of a student-athlete’s life.

“I doubt he’d do anything where he couldn’t stay in shape. They have weights over there, he can run. It’s not like he’s going to the middle of the Amazon where there aren’t nice facilities,” Brown said. “More importantly, he’s going over there to experience what life has to offer in France, and he’ll have a great time.”