Speaker: College students can change the future of energy

By Courtney Chaffin

Kenneth J. Nemeth learned at an early age that energy lies at the core of everything we do and has acted on it ever since.

Nemeth, who has served as the Executive Director and Secretary on the Southern States Energy Board for 34 years, was invited by the Kentucky Mining Engineering Foundation to give a lecture on the increasing importance of conserving energy at the Hilary J. Boone Center Thursday.

Nemeth’s speech, entitled “Impacts of Global Warming Initiatives on Energy Supplies, Climate and the Environment,” focused on oil and energy conservation that have raised concerns around the world.

UK student Adam Parks said Nemeth’s lecture was highly effective in bringing the “Achilles heel” of our society to the forefront of discussion.

Nemeth spoke about the uses of intelligent energy sources, while highlighting significant global events, such as the Arab Oil Embargo in 1973 and Iraq’s invasion of Kuwait in 1990.

According to Nemeth’s research, the U.S. paid over two trillion dollars last year to the Middle East for oil.  Nemeth said the U.S. does not need to depend on those same sources for its oil needs.

“We could use our own resources, but someone has to step up and make that decision,” Nemeth said.

“Everyone likes electricity, everyone wants light when they flip the switch,” UK student Brian Casey said. “Our policy makers are trying to fix the apparent problems and frankly I don’t think they’re doing a good job of it.”

Nemeth urged college students to learn about the world’s growing concern for the world’s energy conservation.

“College students need to have a voice on this issue,” Nemeth said. “They can do it by learning, taking classes on the subject and talking to people, such as senators, to change the future.”