Football is in the air: Spring Game gives fans peak at new team

In sports, symbolism and nostalgia thrive with each passing season. When the lawn is first mown and the smell of hot dogs on the grill fills the air, it’s baseball season. When the weather gets cooler and the preseason Thanksgiving tournaments come around, college basketball junkies are ready to feast in a different sense. And when it’s time for the Spring Game, college football fanatics are getting their seasonal hors d’oeuvre for the fall.

Every spring, college football teams across the country ready themselves for the summer offseason workouts — the Spring Game is the culmination. For UK, it’s a chance to put on the pads in Commonwealth Stadium, and for the fans to speculate about the potential of the coming season.

“I think it’s going to be really important for certain individuals to show what they can do,” rising senior defensive end Jeremy Jarmon said. “I think for the guys who the fans know what they can do, I think it’s important for them to go out there, play hard, and reach those expectations, if not exceed them.”

UK head coach Rich Brooks said with a laugh that the team is probably excited for the Spring Game because it means spring practice is over. On a more serious note, Brooks said the game will go a long way in determining who’s starting and getting reps in fall camp.

In 2008, the Cats continued to build a foundation that was laid a few years ago. Now, with added experience and an incoming recruiting class considered by many as the best of the Rich Brooks era, the Cats believe the future is bright. Jarmon said he wanted to be able to say that in the four years he was at UK, he won four bowl games. The beginning of that possibility will be on Saturday at Commonwealth Stadium at 1 p.m.

It will be the first Spring Game for a number of Cats, including All-Freshmen Southeastern Conference quarterback Randall Cobb. The Alcoa, Tenn. native is getting more reps at wide receiver this spring and said he’s excited to get on the field and play after sitting out in the offseason, recovering from a knee injury.

“I can’t wait. It’s been a long time coming,” Cobb said. “I haven’t been able to do anything since December and it’s just great to be back in Commonwealth and back on the field playing.”

In addition to the optimism granted from the recruiting class, many UK fans are looking forward to the return of Jarmon, cornerback Trevard Lindley and linebacker Micah Johnson. All three defensive stars considered entering the NFL Draft, but instead chose to stay in school. Jarmon said his goals of becoming a better all-around player and person, and finishing his degree and starting another one, was what made him come back. Because of that, the defense is looking as promising as ever for UK.

For the fans, the game will be the first course in a summer where speculation and anticipation will be at an all-time high. For the players, it offers a reward to play the game they love after a hard spring season of workouts and practices.

“I’m really excited, it’s the last go around as far as the Spring Game goes, and it’s a great experience,” Jarmon said. “It’s a game that’s really fun.”