Earthdays in the Bluegrass provides students tools for sustainable living

Column by Tate White

I hope that you have had the opportunity to participate in one or more of the Earthdays in the Bluegrass events here at UK this rainy April. If not, fear not, for there are many ways anyone, and a student in particular, can learn from this month-long program’s elaborate programming. This knowledge can, and should be, applied to everyday living as well as a reformed worldview to the benefit of all.

If one was able to attend one of the many film screenings during the month, he or she was most likely exposed to a multitude of new and enlightening information regarding a serious issue. However, I would like to challenge people to not only retain this enlightenment, but do something about it. For example, a party viewing Irena Salina’s documentary Flow or the documentary Mountaintop Removal should retain awareness of the world’s water crisis or the hazards of mountaintop removal, educate others about these issues and, best of all, let this awareness influence their short and long-term decisions.

Perhaps you participated in a “Gardening at the Gaines Center” workshop and practiced planting and maintaining an urban garden with local community gardening experts. Now you can employ this valuable experience to plant a garden in your own backyard, with which to grow your own food to supplement your college diet. Don’t have the backyard or the time? Invest in a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program. Taking action through what you eat is one of the best and easiest ways to make your lifestyle more sustainable.

In case you missed out in participating in the “Car Free Day” on April 10, try your best to make as many days as possible car free. Parking on or near campus is such a burden, and traffic in Lexington is so terrible that chances are you can save more time (not to mention money) walking or riding a bike. If you missed the bike maintenance workshop as well, a visit to the Wildcat Wheels Bicycle Library can answer any questions you may have. Similarly, integrate “Eat Something Local Day” into your normal routine. One way to do this is with the help of CSA, but there are also many delicious places to eat here in Lexington that serve local food. Enjoy a delicious brunch at Stella’s or visit the hot food bar at the Good Foods Market and Café.

Whatever your personal situation, Earthdays in the Bluegrass provides knowledge and ideas for you to take away and do with it as you desire. Visit the Earth Day Fair at the Student Center Patio to discover campus and community organizations with which you can get involved. Activism or community service not for you? Simply absorb what knowledge you can and apply it to what you do, either how you live or perhaps even what you choose to do for a living. Learning about how to live more sustainably will inevitably become valuable knowledge in any career you decide to pursue, so include it in your learning objectives now.