Author gives students advice on budgeting and organization

By Kayla Phelps

Heloise, syndicated newspaper columnist and contributing editor of Good Housekeeping magazine, spoke to UK students Saturday about ways to save money and stay organized.

Heloise has authored more than 10 books — her most recent titled “Get Organized with Heloise” was released in 2004. She visited campus to speak at a Delta Gamma event.

Heloise said organization is the key to success for college students. One thing she recommends in order to stay organized is to create checklists.

“I am a professional traveler and I set up mental and physical checklists,” Heloise said.Today’s college students have more to keep track of with the increase in high tech electronics. Since her mother started writing columns for housewives across America in 1959, questions and concerns from readers have remained the same with just an added interest in electronics, Heloise said.

“Twenty years ago, students might have had a TV and radio and that’s it,” she said.

Electronics are not cheap and with the current economic situation, students are struggling now more than ever to make ends meet, she said.

Heloise gave advice on ways to save money on day-to-day things by using examples.

“Instead of buying shaving cream, use cheap conditioner. Instead of shower spray, use cheap shampoo,” she said.

Rather than suggesting  people stop spending money, she encourages people to not spend as much.

Heloise said another way to reduce costs is to unplug electronics when they are not in use. Students do not usually think about this when living in residence halls, but when they move into their own house and have to pay their own bills, it is a reality check, she said. This not only reduces costs, but is environmentally beneficial as well.

Heloise published a book called “Hints for a Healthy Planet” in 1990. She said the impact of environmentally safe practices is huge and “convenience is key.”

The two most important things for college students to remember are the importance of organization and outside experience, Heloise said.

Heloise’s experiences are not limited to the household. Her father was a pilot in the Air Force and she spoke vividly about this and her flight with the Blue Angels.

“Experiencing other things is valuable,” she said. “You learn things that you might not have known otherwise.”