Greeks let pies fly in annual Pi-Athlon event

By Geoffrey Griggs

“See Blue” has been UK’s slogan, but after an event Thursday afternoon, many students were seeing brown from pudding wrestling and pie making.

With more than 300 participants, as well as spectators, Alpha Omicron Pi Sorority and Phi Kappa Tau Fraternity hosted the 14th Annual Pi-Athlon.

Pi-Athlon is an annual philanthropy event with the proceeds benefitting arthritis research through the Alpha Omicron Pi Foundation and The Hole in the Wall Gang, which gives a camp experience to seriously ill children, through Phi Kappa Tau Fraternity.

The event charged $25 per team and 22 fraternities and sororities participated.

“This event allows you to get messy for a good cause,” said Ashley Westerman, a member of Alpha Omicron Pi who co-coordinated this event with Luke Stephens, a member of Phi Kappa Tau.

Over $400 of pudding was purchased for the different events that took place in Pi-Athlon. These events vary from a pie throwing contest, a pie eating contest, a pie-making contest, a wheelbarrow contest and pudding wrestling.

About 170 pounds of pudding were put on reserve for the event. What started as a pool full of pudding from the time the first fight began, ended up looking like a pool that had a few spots that just hadn’t been cleaned, as most of the pudding was on participants and spectators.

Some people participating in the pudding wrestling had participated last year, such as architecture sophomore Casey Rich.

“I trained long hard hours for this. I am finally glad that I won.” said Rich, a member of Delta Gamma Sorority.

Other events garnered attention, such as the pie-throwing contest, in which equine science and management sophomore Elexene Mattingly participated. When asked about her experience of letting her peers throw pies at her, she was speechless.

“I don’t even know how to describe it,” said Mattingly, a member of the Delta Delta Delta sorority. “This is absolutely disgusting. However, I did enjoy it because it was for a good cause.”

The pie-throwing and pie-eating event was won by Lambda Chi. The pie-making contest was won by Phi Sigma Kappa. Delta Delta Delta Sorority won the wheelbarrow competition, and Delta Gamma Sorority and Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity won the pudding wrestling.