Small, sure tasks will lead to success for new SG president

Just two short weeks ago, Ryan Smith was elected Student Government president for the 2009-10 school year. Though he hasn’t even assumed his new position, Smith’s win has already been contested. A few petty accusations later, it’s time for Smith and Co. to start thinking seriously about next year and what they want to — and more importantly, realistically — accomplish.

Current SG President Tyler Montell and his administration has kept on top of the Dead Week plan, seeing it through to be passed by the University Senate on Monday. Smith must continue to oversee this plan and make sure it is actually implemented. Since Smith is a current member of SG, that shouldn’t be a stretch.

Montell has also tried to be the true voice for the student body. SG has held numerous open forums for students to express their opinions on things like library hours and the university meal plan, to name a few. Speaking on behalf of a large number of people isn’t the easiest thing to do, but these forums allow SG to do the best they can. Even if sparsely attended, these forums are essential.

An idea of Smith’s that, if passed and implemented correctly, could have a positive impact on the university is the “Tally Cats” program, originally created by the Emerging Leader Institute and summit group. It is, essentially, a points system that would track students’ attendance at campus events and reward those who regularly attend events for their dedication.

Smith’s idea for a peer-advising program could also have a positive impact on the university’s younger students. Pairing a younger student with an older, more experienced student will allow them to become more acclimated with the university and could help improve retention rates in the long run.

Basically, Smith just needs to realize that he can’t bite off more than he can chew, which has been a problem with SG presidents in the past.

If his administration focuses on one or two main projects they would like to see accomplished, Smith’s chances of success are much higher.