Creason Lecture hosts top political journalist

By Rebecca Johnson

For the past 32 years, the School of Journalism of Telecommunications has hosted the Joe Creason Lecture Series. This year, Howard Fineman will speak about “American Politics in the World of Obama.”

Fineman, who started his career at the Louisville Courier-Journal, said he plans to discuss the economy and Obama’s ideas for its rescue. He will also discuss the partisan division in support for the Obama administration.

He plans to speak on Obama as a “pirate fighter,” and will focus in the “dogs and the pirates.”

Fineman is a political journalist and columnist for Newsweek. For NBC News and MSNBC.com, he works as an analyst and columnist, according to Newsweek.com. Newsweek’s senior Washington correspondent and columnist, Fineman is also senior editor and deputy Washington bureau chief.

“To have someone of Howard Fineman’s stature is very good not only for the school (of Journalism and Telecommunications), but also for the university,” said Beth Barnes, Director of the School of Journalism and Telecommunications.

Fineman has interviewed every major presidential candidate since 1985, including President Obama throughout his 2008 campaign, and President George W. Bush in November 2001 for his first extensive interview after Sep. 11, according to Newsweek.com.

Barnes said speakers are selected based on suggestions from faculty, past speakers and the UK Alumni Association. This year multiple people suggested Fineman and Barnes said his visit will be “particularly timely.”

“Given the experience Mr. Fineman has, I think he will present a very interesting perspective in his lecture,” said Barnes.

Fineman is a graduate of Colgate University. He received a master’s in journalism from Columbia and a law degree from the University of Louisville, according to Newsweek.com.

Fineman began his career covering state politics for the Louisville Courier-Journal. He moved to the paper’s Washington bureau in 1978 and stayed there until 1980 when he took a position at Newsweek.

His column, “Living Politics,” has been featured on MSNBC.com and Newsweek.com and is now featured in the print magazine. He has appeared on many public affairs television shows including Nightline, Fox News Sunday and Larry King Live.

The Creason Lecture Series has been held at UK since 1977 in honor of Louisville Courier-Journal reporter Joe Creason. A Kentucky native, Creason was known for his column “Joe Creason’s Kentucky”, which documented the lives of Kentucky residents.

The Creason Lecture is free and open for students, faculty and the public. Barnes said Creason’s widow and son have attended every year and will be in attendance for Fineman’s lecture this year.

The Joe Creason Lecture will be held Tuesday at 6 p.m. in Memorial Hall.