Quilt keeps legacy of organ donors alive

By Brian Kaulakis

Families of organ donors want to remind the community just how precious life is through a project on display at UK Hospital this week.

On display this month at the UK Hospital, by way of Kentucky Organ Donor Affiliates, is the organ donor family quilt.

Each quilt is comprised of several 8-by-8 inch squares, and each square is designed by the family of a person who donated the gift of life when theirs could no longer continue. Right now, there are four quilts that are constantly making the rounds in every hospital in the state.

“If you look at these quilts and see all of the people who are heroes to the people and families of people who receive these organs, it speaks volumes louder than any person ever could about their life story,” said Ann Blackford, UK Hospital spokeswoman.

Mount Sterling, Ky., native Connie Ballard actually receives the squares from KODA and puts together the finished product. Ballard had lost her son when he was 37, and uses quilting as a form of showing her love and compassion for families who have experienced a similar loss.

“Connie is the kind of person who would raise a son caring enough to be an organ donor,” said KODA representative Charlotte Wong. “I knew that as soon as I met her she was the kind of person who could turn her own grief into something that could help guide other families through this process. She’s really an amazing woman.”

Donna Slone, the KODA client services coordinator, said no quilt will ever be retired. As long as the organization receives squares from families, it will keep making the quilts and displaying them for the public.

“These quilts do more than immortalize and help with the healing process for these families,” Slone said. “They make the idea of organ donation very real to the public. Seeing how real the imagery is makes the process so much more meaningful.”

To help realize the concept of organ donation, the state of Kentucky established the Kentucky Organ and Tissue Registry in 2007. The registry is instantly available to hospitals in the registry, and can be changed by the donor at his or her discretion.

“The ultimate way to pass on those blessings we’ve received in our lives is to give an option to those who no longer have any,” Wong said.

Those who wish to see the quilts can do so on Tuesday from 8 to 11:30 a.m. outside the Big Blue Deli in the Kentucky Clinic, and Wednesday from 2 to 7 p.m. in the UK Hospital lobby outside the first floor gift shop. A registry table for the Kentucky Organ and Tissue Registry will also be present at both locations.