Passover serves as a week for family, faith

Easter isn’t the only religious event happening this week.

Passover, a Jewish holiday that began Thursday, commemorates the story of the Israelites’ exodus from Egypt and liberation from slavery.  Passover begins on the 15th day of the Hebrew calendar’s first month and lasts until sundown next Wednesday.

The story of Exodus includes the 10 plagues upon the Egyptians when the pharaoh refused to free the Israelites to Moses.  Before the 10th plague, the killing of firstborn sons, Moses was instructed by God to inform the Israelites to mark their doors with lamb’s blood so as the spirit of God would “pass over” those homes.

Jewish families celebrate the first night of Passover with a seder, a special dinner that includes the retelling of the exodus from Egypt.  The seder is a family-oriented tradition, said Karen Petrone, associate history professor and co-adviser to UK’s Jewish Student Organization.

“The first night’s seder is usually just family and close friends,” Petrone said.  “But a community seders are offered on the second night.”

Two Jewish temples reside in Lexington: Temple Adath Israel and Ohavay Zion Synagogue.

Lexington’s Jewish community may be small, but it is warm and opening, Petrone said.

Nancy Schoenberg, a professor or behavioral science and co-adviser of the JSO, grew up outside of New York in a very different and more diverse community.

“We’d get out of school for any major religious holiday — for Jewish, Catholic or Islamic holidays,” Schoenberg said.  “In many ways it was easier to be a religious minority there.”

During the week of Passover, Jews follow strict dietary rules, Schoenberg said.  Any leavened bread, pasta or rice may not be eaten during the week.  The unleavened bread eaten during Passover is called matza, which commemorates the bread the Hebrews ate before their leave from Egypt.

The final day of Passover also includes special meals and prayer services, including the Yizkor prayer service.

This day celebrates the arrival of the Israelites to the Red Sea, as well as the parting of the sea and the Israelites’ safe passage.

The story of the Exodus is one that reminds the Jewish community to strive to make the world better, Schoenberg said.

“In contemporary practice, we don’t just focus on how great it is that we’re free, but instead we emphasize how unfortunate others are not free,” Schoenberg said.  “Passover is about social justice, family, and tradition.”