Professor opens door on homosexual discussion

By Jazmin Smith

Bernadette Barton has been in lesbian relationships for 14 years, and for about an hour and a half she shared her views on gay lifestyles in the Bible Belt with students and community members.

“We have to get rid of the toxic closet!” said Barton, an associate professor of sociology and women’s studies at Morehead State University.

More than 150 people filled the Cats Den on Monday for Barton’s presentation, “The Toxic Closet: Being Gay in the Bible Belt.”Barton became interested in researching sexual identity during the 2004 presidential election. As she began her presentation, she made the distinction between sexual identity and sexual behavior.

“Sexual behavior has nothing to do with who you’re attracted to,” she said.

Barton also said many gay people do not choose to be gay — they are simply wired that way. According to the “Kinsey continuum” shown in Barton’s presentation, only 10 percent of people are born homosexual, 30 percent are born heterosexual, and the other 60 percent are bisexual and can choose which gender they are attracted to.

Video clips were shown from Christian organizations — such as the American Family Association — on views concerning homosexuality.

Barton also showed clips from a documentary called “Small Town Gay Bar,” exploring consequences of coming out of the closet. Some of the consequences Barton discussed were suicidal thoughts, fear of hell, verbal abuse and isolation.

“Most of us are always coming out of the closet. It’s never-ending,” Barton said.

For friends and family members coming out of the closet, she said to accept them, take interest in their lives, join a PFLAG chapter and treat them normally.

Barton said homosexuals living in the Bible belt are not just victims; they have something to teach. However, she said many Christian groups support gay marriage.

“I don’t mean to paint all Christians with the same brush,” Barton said.

The floor was opened for a question-and-answer portion and many audience members had questions for Barton.

Barton’s talk was something Patrick Davis, a drama and English sophomore at Transylvania University, said was interesting and necessary.

“It was very interesting. The topic itself is something that needs to be discussed,” Davis said. “We’re at a stage in our society where we’re having a conversation that has needed to happen for a long time, and I think change is coming.”