Commonwealth attorneys not given enough funding

Public defenders do not have adequate funding to represent indigent clients.  Caseloads have increased to a size where the defenders do not have adequate time to spend on each client. By the end of May 2009, public defenders expect to run out of funding. Representation of indigent clients is not a choice but a constitutional mandate and the state government must find some funding to keep the system alive. Can you imagine not being able to afford an attorney, so you are appointed an attorney and, because of their caseload, they rarely contact you? Lives are at stake.

Commonwealth attorneys have been required to take three-week furloughs this year. During this period, they must work for no pay. As elected officials, they are doing a true public service by protecting our community at the sake of their own economic security. Why even run for office when next year the state might cut even more of the prosecutors’ funds?

Frankfort, it’s time for you to go on a furlough. The state budget isn’t set in stone because republicans and democrats could not reach an agreement. So now more of our tax dollars will go to our public officials to come back during the summer and vote on a budget. I challenge all state legislators and executive officials to match the furlough of the commonwealth attorneys. Three weeks unpaid. You are our servants and it’s time to serve the public interest.

Polly Baker

history junior