Peace with Palestine is possible, but Israel must make sacrifices

Column by Derek Brown

On Tuesday, Benjamin Netanyahu was sworn in as prime minister of Israel. Before the swearing in, Netanyahu pledged that his government would work towards peace with the Palestinians on economic and security issues. “I am telling the leaders of the Palestinian Authority, if you really want peace, it is possible,” he said. However it would seem he did not have peace in mind when he chose Avigdor Lieberman to be his foreign minister.

The ultra-nationalist Lieberman was an extremely controversial and poor choice for the position. Just last year, Lieberman publicly suggested Egypt’s president should “go to hell,” for not wanting to visit Israel. His most recent campaign was widely viewed in the region as racist. According to the New York Times, he proposed a “loyalty oath” that would require all Israelis to pledge allegiance to Israel as a Jewish, democratic state, to accept its symbols, flag and anthem, and to commit to military service or some alternative service. Israelis who refused this oath would forfeit suffrage. This was seen as a swipe at the Arab population of Israel. His reputation as a racist is all but confirmed when reading his most recent campaign slogan, “Only Lieberman understands Arabic.”

Mr. Lieberman lived up to his reputation in his first speech since taking office Wednesday. Speaking at a handover ceremony at the foreign ministry, Lieberman rejected the past year of U.S.-led peace negotiations with the Palestinians and suggested that concessions to the Palestinians will only cause war. When speaking of the Annapolis conference, which was held last year as a last-ditch attempt by the previous administration to outline the path to a two-state solution between the Israelis and Palestinians, the new foreign minister claimed that the conference held “no validity.”

Former UK prime minister and current Middle East envoy Tony Blair expressed the necessity of a two-state solution recently on a visit to Brussels. “The alternative to a two-state solution is a one-state solution. If there is a one-state solution, there is going to be a big fight.” Mr. Blair is not the only one disappointed in the recently formed Israeli government’s apparent direction. Palestinian politician Yasser Abed Rabbo told the AFP news agency that “Nothing obliges us to deal with a racist person hostile to peace such as Israeli Foreign Affairs Minister Lieberman.”

All of this comes at a very unfortunate time. Following the reckless dismantling of the Gaza Strip this winter, a peace agreement is now as important as ever between the two sides. With the Palestinians still rebuilding, a dangerous situation could be brewing with the new, seemingly hostile Israeli regime. The Obama administration, however, remains committed to a two-state solution. U.S. State Department spokesman Gordon Duguid told reporters in Washington, “We will work closely with Prime Minister Netanyahu’s government to advance the cause of peace and stability in the Middle East, and move the parties in the direction of a two-state solution.” The statement not surprisingly stops short of criticizing the Israelis. If the United States is truly committed to achieving an independent Palestinian state, we can no longer pledge infinite support of Israel if they continue with their counterproductive statements, and ruthless military actions.

In closing, I issue a statement to the leaders of the newly formed Israeli government. If you really want peace, it is possible. However, you too must sacrifice and not expect the Palestinians to shoulder the burden. Closing the blockades around Gaza and helping to repair the destruction inside Gaza City would be a start. Also, if you truly want peace, I would advise you not to promote racists to positions of high authority. Avigdor Lieberman is just another obstacle.