Louisville 5, UK 1: Softball cooling off after school-record start

By

Lawson attributed Louisville’s production to its high skill level.

“It had a lot to do with the people on the other team,” Lawson said. “They just hit her well. They’re an awesome team. They hit the ball well, they play great defense and they have great pitching. They beat up on a lot of people.”

Wadwell and the Cards defeated the Cats in front of the UK Softball Complex’s largest-ever crowd. UK softball brought 827 fans thanks to merchandise giveaways, mid-60s temperatures and another fight between UK and U of L.

Though the large crowd excited the team initially, it also made the loss more disappointing.

“It was nice to have a crowd,” Bell said. “When you have a great crowd in one game you want to do well so they’ll come to more, so it was disappointing in that regard. It wasn’t our best and I could have pitched better, but, you know, you get your good days and your bad days and this was a bad one.”

Junior second baseman Natalie Smith said the team was tired after playing seven games last week and is ready to get some rest and move on.

“It was definitely disappointing to lose in front of a record crowd, but now we’re thinking about the next game and getting ready for practice tomorrow,” Smith said.

Although the Cats lost the pitching battle to the Cards, Lawson and her players considered the game against a high-ranked team to be a positive experience to help build morale for the rest of their season.

“Our team is young,” Lawson said. “Chanda is young and learning and she has to figure out how to get these great hitters out. In that regard I thought it was a good learning experience. I think we will continue to grow and have great chances in the SEC.”

How To Win Your Ex Girlfriend Back After Along Time