Calipari will give future Gillispie recruits a chance, but not a guarantee

As UK head coach John Calipari was introduced to the public Wednesday, he didn’t know much about the personnel he would bring to his first season in Lexington.

The newly appointed coach did have a few ideas as to what he wanted to do — install at least bits and pieces of his fast-paced dribble drive motion offense — but he admitted he still had some homework to do on the roster he’s inheriting.

“I’m going to be honest, folks, I don’t know the team that well,” said Calipari, who addressed the Cats for the first time Wednesday morning. “I watched them a few times, half games.”

When asked what he knew about the Cats’ current roster, Calipari’s knee-jerk: “I know Jodie (Meeks) scored a ton against Tennessee.” Calipari’s knowledge of UK’s current squad didn’t extend beyond Meeks’ outburst, sophomore Patrick Patterson’s ability down low and upstart freshman Darius Miller.

When Calipari met with the Cats on Wednesday morning, freshman Landon Slone said the new coach told his team it’s “going to be hard,” but the team will have a lot of fun.

“He’s very honest. He’s done some great things, we all know that,” Slone said. “My first impression of him is that he’s a great speaker. He really got his points across, he was very honest with us from the get-go. We’re very anxious to get started, I can say that for the whole team.”

Calipari said the Cats would carry 12 or 13 scholarship players next season. Thirteen is the limit set by the NCAA, and UK filled all 13 in 2008-09. Only one of those players, senior Jared Carter, is ineligible to return next season, although it’s unclear if all of the other 12 will return.

The recruiting class former UK head coach Billy Gillispie had pieced together featured four commits: high schoolers Daniel Orton, Jon Hood and G.J. Vilarino, and junior college transfer Konner Tucker. Tucker told the Louisville Courier-Journal on Wednesday that he is re-opening his recruitment, saying he’s “just really not interested in Kentucky anymore or playing for Coach Calipari.”

Hood’s father, Brian Hood, told the Kernel he would sit down with his son and figure out what Jon’s plan is. He didn’t speculate whether Jon, the newly crowned Kentucky Mr. Basketball, would attempt to get out of his letter-of-intent. Brian Hood did, however, voice his pleasure over the Calipari hire.

“I think (UK) wanted to hit a home run, and I think they certainly did,” the elder Hood said.

Rumors have swirled about the status of the recruits Calipari pulled in for Memphis’ class of 2009. The country’s No. 1 prospect Xavier Henry, will decommit from Memphis as a direct result of Calipari’s departure, said Carl Henry, Xavier’s father.

On Wednesday, Calipari said he hopes those that chose Memphis will hold true to their commitment.

“What I would hope is that all of the players that signed at Memphis will go to Memphis,” Calipari said. “That’s my hope.”

Xavier Henry signed a letter-of-intent, but it contains a clause that releases Henry from his commitment if Calipari left Memphis, Carl Henry said. Xavier Henry was at the McDonald’s High School All-American Game in Coral Gables, Fla., on Wednesday. He will return home to Oklahoma City, Okla., on Thursday, and he and his father will discuss his future.

With limited space available at Calipari’s disposal, he indicated not every Gillispie commit would automatically make his cut, both this season and down the road. Calipari said he would take any player — on one condition.

“If they’re good enough to play here and help us win national titles, I want you here,” Calipari said. “If they’re not, I’m going to tell them. I’m just gonna be honest.”