Candidates share their views on diversity

By Casey Wheeless

In a two-hour debate Monday night, Student Government presidential candidates focused on diversity issues, ranging from racially sensitive events to religious organizations.

The UK Chapter of the NAACP, OUTsource, the Muslim Student Association and the Black Student Union hosted the final debate for SG presidential and vice president candidates last night in the Gallery Room of the William T. Young Library. Around 40 to 50 people attended.

All three SG presidential and their running mates were in attendance. The debate was strictly informational and no candidate was endorsed.

When asked about what they would do if elected into office and a racially sensitive event should occur in the future, candidate Ryan Smith suggested a diversity leadership group to meet once or twice a month and develop a relationship to respond immediately to these types of issues.

Colby Khoshreza also said in a situation like this was necessary “to get everyone around the same table.”

Candidate Tyler Owen agreed with Khoshreza and Smith, but suggested bringing in people with expertise to talk and share their opinions along with people and the campus.

“Diversity is a personal issue, it is about opening yourself up to new experiences,” Owen said.

The vice presidential candidates were asked about addressing religious diversity and what plans each candidate had relating to religious diversity on campus.

Jimmy Uebel, Owen’s running mate, said he believes to start the ball rolling there needs to be an open dialogue between religions, communication needs to be established to notice parallels between different religions.

Laura Newton, Khoshreza’s running mate, said she and Khoshreza had planned to create monthly retreats so leaders from different religious groups can come together and bring awareness to their different organizations. She also said these groups are often overlooked and Khorshreza and Newton plan to change that.

Kelsey Hayes, Smith’s running mate said she and Smith think it is not SG’s responsibility to force religious issues on students but that it should be the goal of SG work with other organizations on campus “to promote a culture that fosters religious tolerance.” SG should provide programming which students can learn from to increase awareness for all students at UK.

James Davidson Jr., the president of the UK chapter of the NAACP, said he felt the dialogue that was passed around will effect serious change and will translate into action.

“The overall outcome I feel is positive, I defiantly feel like it is a move in the right direction,” Davidson said.