Candidate says hard work and initiative are key

By Katie Perkowski

Tyler Owen said he is running for Student Government president for two reasons.

The first is to let students know that they have the option of voting for “an average guy” who does not have a history with SG or the Greek community. The second, he said, is to show that anybody, if they have the initiative and work hard, can do it right.

“If I can run and get close, then anybody can do it,” he said.Owen cited three main platforms that his staff has planned. One focus would be to require that professors use Blackboard.

“We have that tool and it’s useful but yet it’s not used in every class and we feel it should be because it is such a good tool,” Owen said.

The second platform for the Owen staff is to provide an opportunity to have their voices heard. Owen said they plan to do this by having a monthly online program in which his staff e-mails students about issues brought up at SG meetings, giving students the opportunity to respond with their concerns.

“In the end, it’s not what the people in SG want,” Owen said. “It’s about the students at large.”

Owen’s third main focus, he said is less specific. Owen said he wants students to know that they have people who care about what they think and he wants students to be encouraged to participate in the UK community.

“It’s not about being at the top or bottom — you’re a UK student and you should have every opportunity,” Owen said.

He is also concerned about tuition costs and wants to represent students against potential tuition increases. If tuition increases are necessary, he said, then people on the other side can make their argument but that the people he is representing do not want to higher tuition.

Owen also said he and his staff have been talking about cooperation with food services to try to keep food costs from rising.

Owen said he thinks one of the organizations that needs the most funding is the Violence Intervention and Prevention Center and that he would be adamant about getting more funding for the VIP. He also said multiple diversity organizations need more funding.

“Basically (diversity) is the heart of making our campus a better place,” he said.

This year’s election is important because all three candidates are leaders but they provide different views about how best to run SG, Owen said.