Orton and current players unsure of their future

The departure of UK head coach Billy Gillispie answers one question about who won’t be found on the UK bench next season, but raises several others. With a high-profile recruiting class on the way and a pair of potential NBA players on the roster, the team may not have seen the last of the changes to next season’s projected squad.

Larry Orton, father of five-star UK commit Daniel Orton, said UK Athletics had contacted the Orton family and advised them to wait before making any decision. Larry said Daniel did not wish to speak with reporters about Gillispie’s situation or the possibility of reopening his recruitment.

Orton said the family was “just waiting to see what happens.”

Larry Orton did say Gillispie was a major reason why his son committed to UK.

“It was a big factor,” the elder Orton said in a phone interview.

Several schools with head coaches rumored to be candidates for the UK opening, including Oklahoma State’s Travis Ford and Oklahoma’s Jeff Capel, once courted Daniel to play for their respective teams. Larry Orton was unsure whether any particular coach could sway Daniel’s choice to remain committed to UK.

Questions also surround junior Jodie Meeks and sophomore Patrick Patterson. Both are projected as NBA draft picks if they decide to forgo their remaining eligibility.

In an exclusive interview with the Kernel, Meeks said he would have to wait and see who the new coach is before deciding about his future at UK.

“Right now I’m not really worried about that, I’m just worried about taking some time off, just to clear my mind and figure out what I’m going to do,” Meeks said. “I’m not really sure what I’m going to do yet. I’ll see who the new coach is and talk to him and go from there.”

Meeks said he hadn’t heard of any possible coaching candidates, and he only had a few requirements for the next coach.

“I’m not a picky person,” Meeks said. “As long as he’s good for this program and this team I’m fine with it.”

Meeks said while he hadn’t yet reached out to any recruits, he would likely speak with any who attend during the summer session for classes.

While Patterson didn’t speak with reporters about his future at UK on Friday, he did say he planned to stay for his junior year after UK’s win over Mississippi in the Southeastern Conference Tournament.

“I’ll sit down with my coaches and parents after the season to talk about everything,” Patterson said on March 12. “My mindset is to return right now. It just depends on how I finish the year, what my projected draft selection is and how far the team advances.”

Attempts to reach Meeks’ and Patterson’s families for comment were unsuccessful on Friday. Attempts to reach four-star recruit Jon Hood or his family members for comment were also unsuccessful. Messages left for recruiting experts were not immediately returned.

RELATED STORIES:

Barnhart didn’t see it coming

Gillispie out as UK head coach

Timeline of Gillispie’s career

VIDEO: Media chases Gillispie

Correct decision: Former coach, player agree with Gillispie’s release

Mixed emotions flood Big Blue Nation over Gillispie fire

Column: New coach will race UNC for 2,000 wins

Column: New hire will know what not to do

Possible Gillispie replacements