SG hopeful speaks to low turnout at forum

Student Government presidential candidate Colby Khoshreza addressed the Student Health Advisory Council about campus health issues at its Wednesday meeting.

Seven people attended the forum, which lasted around 40 minutes. 

“I want to make sure students understand the wide array of health care services that are offered to them,” Khoshreza said. “Many students place health care at the back of their minds. As seen tonight, most of them don’t care.” Khoshreza answered several questions from a moderator pertaining to UK Health Care and moves the university is taking to make a healthier campus. 

“When I was in high school I helped pass a no smoking ban, and as much as I understand the health benefits of the no smoking on campus ban, I do not support it,” Khoshreza said. 

Believing the smoking ban takes away students’ rights, Khoshreza said he would rather see designated smoking areas instead. 

The other two SG presidential candidates, Ryan Smith and Tyler Owen, decided not to attend the Student Health Advisory Council forum because they believe Khoshreza is too closely tied to the organization. Khoshreza is a member of the council, the student leadership component of UK’s University Health Service, and his girlfriend, Meghan Bostic, is president of the organization.