Former UK basketball player remains in critical condition

Former UK basketball standout Mike Casey is listed in critical condition after a serious heart procedure at the Vanderbilt Medical Center in Nashville on Tuesday, a spokesman for the Medical Center said.

Vanderbilt Medical Center spokesman Jerry Jones said Casey received a ventricular assist device Tuesday. The device helps the heart pump blood through the body if the heart is too weak to pump the blood itself.

According to the Food and Drug Administration Web site, a ventricular assist device is sometimes referred to as a “bridge to transplant” to keep a patient alive while waiting for a heart transplant.

Casey played for UK from 1967 to 1971 after garnering Kentucky’s Mr. Basketball honors while leading Shelby County High School to the state championship in 1966.

Casey entered UK in the same recruiting class as former UK greats Dan Issel and Mike Pratt, and averaged 20 points per game in his first season with the varsity. He sat out the 1969-70 season after breaking his leg in a car accident.

Casey ranks 13th on UK’s all-time scoring list with 1,535 points. He was a first team All-Southeastern Conference selection in 1968, and earned second team All-SEC honors in 1969 and 1971. UK won the SEC championship during each of his three years with the varsity squad.