Forum to bring discussion of alternative media

A forum to discuss alternatives to traditional print media will be held Tuesday.

“Conquering the Conventional: Because journalism isn’t dying and neither are we,” organized by the Kernel, will bring four panelists to campus to discuss alternative jobs for graduates in the midst of news of layoffs at newspapers around the country.

Stephen George, editor of LEO Weekly and one of the guests participating in the forum, said discussions about news media become more important with the free and open access that is available. It is important for the reader or user to be able to distinguish between reliable and unreliable sources.

George stressed the importance of daily papers and said it is unfortunate that some will die.

“I think the dailies are making a serious strategic mistake in cutting reporting staff and page counts in favor of a medium, the Web, that doesn’t make them enough money,” George said.

The other panelists will be Saraya Brewer, managing editor of Chevy Chaser and Southsider Magazines, Rob Theakston, editor of Moodmat.com, and Kernel photo adviser and award-winning photojournalist Jim Winn. May May Barton, Kernel design adviser and previous design director for the Herald-Leader, will moderate the forum.

The forum will be held at the Cats Den on Tuesday at 7:30 p.m.